What is Sports Massage?
Sports Massage has a fundamentally different approach from all other forms of massage. A far deeper massage it is designed to assist in correcting problems and imbalances in soft tissue, i.e. muscles, tendons and ligaments, often caused by repetitive, strenuous physical activity or trauma.
While other forms of massage therapy such as Swedish or Holistic, have some aims in common with Sports Massage - such as physical and mental relaxation, Sports Massage is specifically designed to help in sport or fitness activities.
What are the benefits of Sports Massage?
Sports Massage can -
- Stretch and relax muscles.
- Help identify tender areas before they develop into injuries.
- Improve range of movement.
- Free muscle adhesions (knots) and soften scar tissue after injury.
- Restore suppleness.
- Help to relieve muscle pain and spasm.
- Promote healing after injury.
- Speed recovery after exercise/dcexertion (relieves muscle fatigue).
- Reduce muscle stiffness and soreness.
- Relax body and mind.
- Maintain body in optimal condition.
Who benefits from Sports Massage?
The answer is anyone from a Saturday morning footballer to an Olympic athlete and everybody else as well. You don't have to participate in a sport to receive treatment. As Sports Massage is more specific it can benefit anyone suffering from inhibited movement especially around the joints, e.g. frozen shoulder.
Some people just don't find a normal massage deep enough, in which case Sports Massage can benefit them too.